Job Function: Consulting & Professional Services
Job Level: Manager Level
Job Location: Lalitpur
Education Degree: Master
Job Availability: Full Time
Offered Salary: Negotiable
Preferred Gender: Any
Minimum Experience: 7 Year
No. of Opening: 1
Deadline: Thursday, Oct 31, 2019
The Leprosy Mission Nepal (TLM Nepal) works with the Government of Nepal in providing specialist tertiary leprosy care and technical support for the national leprosy control programme through Anandaban Hospital, Mycobacterial Research Laboratory, Training Unit and community based inclusive development projects.
On request of Nepal government, the Training & Technical Support Unit (hereafter TU) was established in Anandaban hospital in 1987 as a separate, exclusive project to develop government leprosy services throughout Nepal. The TU initiated the development of leprosy curriculum for training to Basic Health Service (BHS) staff including DTLOs with the leadership of the then Leprosy Control Division (currently Leprosy Control and Disability Management Unit). This initiation, among others, played a vital role in the achievement of the national leprosy elimination phase in 2009. Since 1993, 28,044 staff have been trained in leprosy till date.
TU, since its inception, has been involved extensively in building up capacity of government health staff, to deliver effective leprosy service from their own health posts in the community. A purpose-built training centre at Anandaban Hospital premise facilitates this and TU staff also provide field based training to grassroots health workers, community people, in the basics of leprosy diagnosis and treatment. Additionally, TU also supports and supervises in active leprosy case finding campaigns in high burden areas.
Currently, the TU continues to upgrade the skills and knowledge of key personnel of related health sectors, monitoring visits, mass sensitization programmes throughout Nepal and also hosts international training and conferences in the premise. Through the years, the TU has expanded its expertise and resources beyond leprosy unto Disability, CBID, NTDs, DRR, WASH, Research, Peer Counseling and more.
Objectives of Assignment:
TLM Nepal, in the years to come, envisions the TU as a center of excellence for an integrated approach to capacity building at international, national and local levels by continuing and further strengthening support for the National leprosy programme whilst developing as a leading, integrated and inclusive training centre.
The rationale of this assignment is to develop a long term plan (each year from 2020 for five years) with projection on sustainable approaches and relevant support to Government of Nepal and community through effective usage of funds, seeking opportunities for greater collaboration and access to resources on the basis of review and assessment and study of environment of capacity building in Nepal’s health sector. The end product of this assignment is a Business Plan outlining recommendations for the effective functioning of the TU, affiliated agencies and stakeholders and sustainability of training programme in leprosy and other relevant areas. The plan will incorporate a road map and implementation plan for introducing and embedding the recommended structure and processes to develop TU as an international training and resource centre.
Scope and Methodology of Assignment:
A. Training quality assurance and VFM
Identify the additional effort and/or change required to improve existing training quality, services and technical support to the government for the sustainability of leprosy elimination programme. Study of previous year’s project documents and evaluation reports, training curricula, FGD with TU staff and TLM Nepal leadership team, trainees, community members, beneficiaries, etc.
- Assess standard of training curriculum
- Effectiveness and efficiency of TU management
- Standard of monitoring and supervision
- Assess access and equity of training provided along with key risk factor for the success of TU.
- Strategy for enhancing value for money to operate training unit
- Upgrading of training facilities and premise for effective and high quality training provision
- Assess and recommend the technology, resources and infrastructure for quality training which can support for increase in income from this facilities (either within organization or outside the organization) considering the legal prospective as per law of land
- Training integration and expansion
Opportunities for expansion (scope both nationally and internationally) and integration in other fields. Research training needs in the Government health sector, community and other organizations. Visit and interact with relevant Government agencies DOHS, EDCD, LDCMS, Regional Health Directorate, hospitals, partner organizations, donors, WHO)
- Compatibility of integrated, innovative training packages within national leprosy, NTDs, health framework effectively avoiding overlaps
- Identify partnerships and recommend partnership modalities
- Identify Nepal Government’s part in integrating and sustaining the training programme
- Sustainability of learning; retain expertise whilst creating a pool of accredited trainers in various fields
Financial analysis and projection:
The recommended actions should be financially viable considering the source of income:
- Budget assessment for the proposed action
- Assessment and identification of local income for the sustainability of the training unit.
- Five years financial projection on the basis of the recommended action.
Timelines and Deliverables:
Maximum number of days should be not more than 25 days after contract.
The consultant will provide the final detailed business study along with five years financial projection by 10th December 2019 along with a presentation on the findings and recommendations to relevant TLM Nepal staff. Final report should not be more than 30 pages (excluding annexure). Office space will be provided at Training Unit and/or TLM Nepal Country Office
Required Qualification and Experience:
- Proven experiences of developing of business plan of similar natured institutions/project.
- Master degree in Public Health, Finance and any other relevant fields with adequate knowledge of Nepal health sector (epidemiology, NTDs, Hospital settings, training centre)
- 7 years’ experience in conducting health sector reviews
- Strong coordination and communication skills between different stakeholders especially government, CSOs and communities in Nepal.
- Demonstrated experience in data management, use of statistical software
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in Nepali and English
- Field visits and travel is a requisite
Application procedure: Interested and qualified consultants are required to submit:
- Technical proposal with brief description of why the individual considers him/herself suitable and a summary of how they will approach and complete the assignment
- Current CV with three reference and list of similar assignments
- Proposal for consultancy charge to conclude this assignment with breakdown to email@example.com by 31st October 2019.
The Leprosy Mission Nepal is committed to safeguarding; protecting children and vulnerable adults and as such candidates will be subject to pre-employment checks.